Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Yankee Fans: Not Real Baseball Fans

I read in the paper that many Yankee fans will NOT be watching the World Series this year because their team isn't in it (thank God!). You know what that means? These people aren't real fans, that's all.

To me, if you love baseball, you can't be happy about Steinbrenner and his idiotic ways. The guy singlehandedly ruined baseball, which is why the true fans of baseball can't warm up to the Yankees.

Not only that, but I find that a lot of Yankee fans have very little knowledge of the other teams. All they care about is Yankees, Yankees, Yankees. They probably can't name five players on the Colorado Rockies. I wonder if they ever heard of Miguel Cairo before he became a Junkee.

I despise the Yankees, but I still watch the World Series when they're in it, because I love baseball, and whatever happens goes in the books, so I want to know what happens so I can remember the games. I sat through painful moments such as Tino's grand salami against the Padres in the '98 World Series, Jeter throwing out Jeremy Giambi in the '01 ALDS, Armando Benitez's blown save in game 1 of the '00 World Series... Then again, I got to enjoy the final inning of the '01 World Series when the unstoppable Mariano Rivera allowed two Arizona runs to score to beat the Junkees.

So I'm loving the '04 World Series. It might be the best I've ever seen. And if the Red Sox can win two more and become champions of the world... I can't wait to see the Junkee fans then! Oh, how sweet it'll be. Manny Ortiz, you thought the ALCS win was the best night ever?

5 comments:

Manny Ortiz said...

Agree with everything you say, except for the Yankee fans not knowing about players on other teams. I think that's true of any casual fan of any team. My friend Josephine is an avid Mets fan, but never heard of Johan Santana till the ALDS. And I don't see why a casual Braves fan will know or care much to remember the Marlins' starting lineup.

Anonymous said...

LMAO

What a crock of crap that is, "You're not a true fan if you don't watch other teams play in the WS!!!!!" Oh please, in the Subway Series, EVERYONE outside of NY said how horrible a match it was and how no one was gonna watch it outside of NY, and, lo and behold, it was the lowest rated WS in history....

I guess that means that there are a LOT of "non-true" fans of baseball out there eh?

The Yankee Despiser said...

The 2000 WS got low ratings because it was such a mismatch. The Mets were not winning the Series with an outfield of Benny Agbayani, Jay Payton, and Bubba Trammell. They had no chance. They got lucky that they avoided the Braves in the postseason that year and got by the Giants and Cardinals to sneak in there.

This year, though, experts predicted that this would be a very competitive series, so no excuses that the games would be bad.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Yankee fan, and I'm watching the Series. I didn't know much about the Cards before the Series either. Baseball is great, but I don't have the time to learn about all the players on all the teams. I still consider myself a fan of the game. Face it, the Yankees are good at doing business. They play by the rules, they leverage off of the large market they are in, and they use fan loyalty from past successes to build future success with fan dollars. If you don't like how they do business, then that is a systemic problem with MLB, not with the Yankees.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry son but do you believe everything you read in the paper? Turns out a lot of Yankee Fans were watching the World Series. You want to talk about real fans? Why don't you ask the 70% of Boston "Fans" who jumped right on that banwagon as soon as they won the world series what a true fan is... I bet they know!